Thursday, June 12, 2008

No Less of a Woman

A bunch of my friends are preparing to get married this year. Of course, now that they have found their "one" they have taken it upon themselves to ask me constantly "so when are you getting married?" "how far with that guy?". I have been admonished to hurry up and move from my small town to a bigger city where the .....ahem....." prospects" are better. "You're not growing any younger you know" My mom called me in the middle of the night to tell me to not continue with my PhD. "Men will run away from you" she says.

Then there are those who are married but no kid yet . Apparently that too is a crime (the annoyance never ends does it?). "Where are my grandchildren?" "Your husband needs a son fast before he starts looking outside" What brings this on? Well, I thought this was an african thing. In the US, people just get dogs and they're happy. Then I watched this video and hey! we are not alone! apparently its universal. So enjoy......

Which brings me to another (utterly random) point, isnt it annoying how people subtitle when it is ENGLISH being spoken? A funny/different accent does not another language make.

2 comments:

Tairebabs said...

This is so true. Glad to see from the musical video that its not only in Nigeria that such a barbaric line of thinking exist...still that makes it even worse I guess. I mean people never consider how much women who are in these situations must be hurting as well. I often wonder if they think the woman is happy not to be able to have children. She is no less a woman.

incoherent said...

who knows how small-minded come to their conclusions.....and really, who cares?!!